Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Assignment One : Roughs

Task: Choose a letter and then work on the Elements and Principles of design

For this assignment I decided to choose the letter M and font Matura MT Script Capitals. I selected this font because I found the font to be interesting and I had some ideas in which I would be able to illustrate the elements of design. The following are my roughs:

Shape is the form around a design. It creates negative and positive space.
When I was first getting started I tried to pull out the shapes I saw within the letter (think geometric forms), rather than look at the letter for what it is. I believe that the image in the upper right hand corner clearly depicts the positive and negative space (the difference between space and substance) within the composition.

Direction is the matter in which the viewer is being directed throughout the composition. It can demonstrate stability, balance or movement depending on the direction of the line. In the above image all the lines are oblique which demonstrate movement or action throughout the design. 

Size is basically related items that refer to size (big or small).

Texture/ Pattern- Texture refers to the surface quality of an object that appeal to touch or tactile sense. Pattern is the repetition of visual elements. Pattern is clearly shown in the bottom two designs by repetition.


 Line is a visual element of length. Line defines the position and direction of the design and can define shape, convey mood, feeling and define space. It is a series of adjacent point, a connection between points or a point in motion.


Value is basically the artistic term for dark and light. It is a measure of relative lightness or darkness of a color or tone of gray. Color is a property of light. It is the way an object absorbs or reflects light.



1 comment:

  1. Fantastic job Marci - clean exact and very well described - A real BLog
    thanks ANgela

    ReplyDelete